Sign in to follow this  
svd

Application for Citizenship by Conferral - Over 60

Hello, I was hoping to get some help in relation to someone I know.  They are 71 years old and a New Zealand Citizen.  They moved to Australia in 2009 and are still working (unfortunately!).

They are wanting to apply for citizenship (or even permanent residency first).

I saw that they are able to apply for citizenship be conferral being over 60 here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/person-60-years-and-over#HowTo but that they had to have been here from 2001. They travelled to Australia nearly every year due to their spouses family being over here, so it is possible that their passport is stamped that year with the special category visa 444.

There was also the option of applying for permanent residency first for a NZ citizen but they earn under the income threshold.

I am trying to help find some other option for them, would anyone have any advice?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Just to clarify things.

Your friend needs to recall and document their travel dates to/from Australia from 26th Feb 1999 to when the moved here.  You are correct they might have grounds if they visited Australia during the period Feb-1999 to Feb 2001. Exact dates are important.

As you know, they can stay here indefinitely under the SCV scheme, what benefits they are eligible varies, and here is a better explanantion: https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1617/Quick_Guides/NZAust.  But a call or visit to Centrelink will probably help more, as there are lots of personal aspects that need to be considered. But if they are living here I am sure they have already been to see Centrelink.

Paths to PR/Citizenship are limited unless the above holds valid for your friend.  As you state the  Skilled Independent (subclass 189) (New Zealand) Visa would not apply due to means testing.

Remember that Kiwi's get a very good deal from Centrelink here, why do they want to become a Citizen? 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.