Iri

Accident - unable to enter AU within 9 months

Hi,

my partner has been granted his PMV in March this year and he suppose to cross the border on Nov 18 latest. Unfortunately he badly injured his leg few days ago and is awaiting operation next week. Obviously he's not gonna be able to fly anywhere for next few months coz of very high chance of thrombosis plus he's gonna have to undergo special leg rehab after he's been operated. 

We are still in Europe at the moment.

What steps shall I take to postpone our visa deadline? How shall I contact DIMMI? Is there any form I can use? 

Is there anyone who has been through similar situation?

REVISED::

You state 9 months in your Post Topic.  You may get a 9 month extension if the medical certificates support this time period.

Write to DIBP immediately. In your letter quote the PMV grant number and all references.  Explain what has happened.  Include a formal medical certificate from his doctor to the effect that he is injured and medically unfit to fly.

Request the required extension, as supported by the medical certificate.

You should be OK if you have the medical certificates.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

7 hours ago, Iri said:

Hi,

my partner has been granted his PMV in March this year and he suppose to cross the border on Nov 18 latest. Unfortunately he badly injured his leg few days ago and is awaiting operation next week. Obviously he's not gonna be able to fly anywhere for next few months coz of very high chance of thrombosis plus he's gonna have to undergo special leg rehab after he's been operated. 

We are still in Europe at the moment.

What steps shall I take to postpone our visa deadline? How shall I contact DIMMI? Is there any form I can use? 

Is there anyone who has been through similar situation?

The condition of his PMV granted in March is that he must enter Australia before 18 November and then marry you during the visa validity period. 

Condition 8519 - The holder must enter into the marriage in relation to which the visa was granted within the visa period of the visa.

You will need to contact IMMI immediately and without delay.

What is of concern, and will be readily apparent to IMMI, is that he has had since March to enter Australia, but the reasons preventing him travelling to Australia only occurred a "few days ago".

Do you also have evidence of the following:

• That you had flights booked to travel to Australia between the date of his accident and 18 November.
  • That your marriage was going to take place within the visa validity period (What was the date of marriage advised to IMMI in the PMV application).

I really wish you all the best, but I am sorry to say that I don't like your chances here. 

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.