Beck

Question about Australian partner visa

Hello guys! I’m currently in the process of beginning a partnership residency application for myself and my husband. I’m Australian and he is South African, we have been in a relationship for 3 years and married for 14 months! He is currently in Australia with me on a tourist visa that expires in April 2020 and we are wanting to apply for residency January/February! We were told we would go onto a bridging visa once his tourist visa expires as long as the application has been received by immigration. Does anyone know how long that takes and has anyone got any advice for us? 

Hard to answer such a open ended question in depth, if you are good with research and paperwork then you can do it yourself otherwise would be best to use a agent.

First up, does the current visa have condition 8503 - no further stay?

If it does have it you'll have to look at offshore options 309/100.

If it doesn't then you can look at the 820/801. The visas are basically the same is just where the applicant is when they Lodge.

Once you've looked into things a bit and have targeted questions let us know

Thanks for your response. We were lucky and weren’t given the no further stay condition so we were looking at applying onshore. We just wanting some advice from others that have been through the process as it’s quite daunting to us! 

45 minutes ago, Beck said:

Thanks for your response. We were lucky and weren’t given the no further stay condition so we were looking at applying onshore. We just wanting some advice from others that have been through the process as it’s quite daunting to us! 

It is daunting just take your time. I spent 6 months doing research before starting the forms, but that's me and how I like to do things. The DHA site is a lot better now and the info is pretty clear.

43 minutes ago, Beck said:

Is there anything myself as the sponsor needs to do for the application? Any supporting forms I need to fill in?

Yes. You need to do the online sponsor application 

1 hour ago, Beck said:

What is that? 😕 

You really need to do some research yourself in the first instance.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

23 minutes ago, AFV said:

You really need to do some research yourself in the first instance.

I have been.... to be honest the website doesn’t exactly give all the details of the process and this is the first I’ve heard of this sponsorship form, we saw an advisor 2 months ago and this was never mentioned as part of the process. We were going to apply in January so by the time my partners tourist visa expires in May, he could roll over onto the interim visa while we wait the 2 year process. But now I’m guessing this will be effected if we have to wait for myself as the sponsor to first be approved? 

8 minutes ago, Beck said:

I have been.... to be honest the website doesn’t exactly give all the details of the process and this is the first I’ve heard of this sponsorship form, we saw an advisor 2 months ago and this was never mentioned as part of the process. We were going to apply in January so by the time my partners tourist visa expires in May, he could roll over onto the interim visa while we wait the 2 year process. But now I’m guessing this will be effected if we have to wait for myself as the sponsor to first be approved? 

Currently a partner visa application is submitted, after which the sponsorship can be submitted. There have been changes to legislation (yet to come into force) that will require a sponsor to be pre-approved before a partner visa application can be made. However, as it currently stands partner visa application followed by sponsorship.

A partner visa application will need to include evidence of relationship, personal relationship statements, supporting witness statements etc. There is also a requirement for an applicant to undertake a medical examination, and both applicant and sponsor must provide police clearance certificates.

If your partner applies in Australia he will be granted a Bridging Visa A which will come into effect once his current visitor visa ends. If he is planning on travelling outside of Australia, he must get a Bridging Visa B before leaving. 

The Bridging Visa A allows him to remain lawfully in Australia until a decision is made on his partner visa application.

Hope this has helped.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

1 minute ago, AFV said:

Currently a partner visa application is submitted, after which the sponsorship can be submitted. There have been changes to legislation (yet to come into force) that will require a sponsor to be pre-approved before a partner visa application can be made. However, as it currently stands partner visa application followed by sponsorship.

A partner visa application will need to include evidence of relationship, personal relationship statements, supporting witness statements etc. There is also a requirement for an applicant to undertake a medical examination, and both applicant and sponsor must provide police clearance certificates.

If your partner applies in Australia he will be granted a Bridging Visa A which will come into effect once his current visitor visa ends. If he is planning on travelling outside of Australia, he must get a Bridging Visa B before leaving. 

The Bridging Visa A allows him to remain lawfully in Australia until a decision is made on his partner visa application.

Hope this has helped.

Thank you! I was just concerned that these changes with the sponsorship law may effect our application but if we are still fine then that’s a relief. We just don’t have many options of places we can go if we have to leave Australia if the bridging visa can’t be done. 

1 minute ago, Beck said:

Thank you! I was just concerned that these changes with the sponsorship law may effect our application but if we are still fine then that’s a relief. We just don’t have many options of places we can go if we have to leave Australia if the bridging visa can’t be done. 

What is preventing you from applying now?

1 minute ago, AFV said:

What is preventing you from applying now?

The cost of the visa, it’s just slightly out of our reach and as my partner is on a tourist visa at the moment, it’s only me working so one wage makes it a bit harder to save. We are planning on applying as soon as we come into the new year! 

1 hour ago, Beck said:

The website gives clear and precise directions on what the applicant and sponsor need to do. Spend some time on it. You do need to click and toggle. It's not all layed out on one page

Screenshot_20191107-120520_Firefox.jpg

8 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

The website gives clear and precise directions on what the applicant and sponsor need to do. Spend some time on it. You do need to click and toggle. It's not all layed out on one page

Screenshot_20191107-120520_Firefox.jpg

Just wondering where it states on the website that you need your sponsorship approved before they can begin the application process? I must of missed it!

You missed it because it doesn't exist.

You DON'T need sponsorship approval before the applicant can begin.

AFV explained that to you earlier "There have been changes to legislation (yet to come into force) that will require a sponsor to be pre-approved before a partner visa application can be made."

1 hour ago, AFV said:

Hope this has helped.

See bold text above.

Another thing, we are going through the application and where myself (sponsor) fills in my details, it asks if I have any other identity documents like birth certificate, drivers license, and asks for an ID number for those things, but I’m not sure they have one?

All those things have numbers. Use the drivers license number. The birth certificate has a couple different numbers from memory. I can't remember which we used but it was accepted regardless

15 minutes ago, SammyJ said:

All those things have numbers. Use the drivers license number. The birth certificate has a couple different numbers from memory. I can't remember which we used but it was accepted regardless

You’ve been amazing thank you! One last thing haha when we are filling out the part where we list our immediate family, do we include each other’s parents and siblings as in-laws or is it not necessary?

On 11/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, Beck said:

Another thing, we are going through the application and where myself (sponsor) fills in my details, it asks if I have any other identity documents like birth certificate, drivers license, and asks for an ID number for those things, but I’m not sure they have one?

As an Australian, you will have a Birth Certificate.  You can obtain copies (or reprints) of original birth certificates easily from your birth state registry.  Applying as a Sponsor for a permanent visa without a Birth Certificate may complicate your ID verification. You do not have an Australian Drivers License?  Your Aussie PAssport is also prime ID.

The more government issued ID documents you provide, the easier your application will go.  

All Aussie D/L have ID numbers. 

Older birth certificates, (over 60 years in Australia last I checked, or some other countries) may not have an ID number but rather a Folio or Reference, this may be the date, the line number in the registry book for that day, the parish or county.  One reason an original birth certificate is always requested, as they are all different.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:15 PM, AussieDude said:

As an Australian, you will have a Birth Certificate.  You can obtain copies (or reprints) of original birth certificates easily from your birth state registry.  Applying as a Sponsor for a permanent visa without a Birth Certificate may complicate your ID verification. You do not have an Australian Drivers License?  Your Aussie PAssport is also prime ID.

The more government issued ID documents you provide, the easier your application will go.  

All Aussie D/L have ID numbers. 

Older birth certificates, (over 60 years in Australia last I checked, or some other countries) may not have an ID number but rather a Folio or Reference, this may be the date, the line number in the registry book for that day, the parish or county.  One reason an original birth certificate is always requested, as they are all different.

I have a drivers license and a birth certificate as well as my passport, so do I just use my license number and passport number? I don’t think there’s an ID number on my birth certificate though? 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, Beck said:

I have a drivers license and a birth certificate as well as my passport, so do I just use my license number and passport number? I don’t think there’s an ID number on my birth certificate though? 

Birth certificates will either have a reference number, or you just quote the Place and Date of issue.  You will need to provide copies of all these anyway.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.