celia

482 visa - enquiry about skill assessment for university lecturer

Hi, I am from China and just got my PhD this year. I plan to go to Australia to do 1.5-year post-doc research and need to apply for a 482 visa (mid term stream).

According to Australia home affairs website, I need to get a skill assessment for university lecturer. However, I just finished my PhD study and have never worked before. Can I present my PhD research experience as the working experience in skill assessment? Or do I need to work in my country for 2 years to meet the skill assessment criteria before I can go to Australia?

Also, I searched on the internet and saw some people said that post-doc researcher applying for 482 visa do not need to lodge a skill assessment. Is this true? I can't find the relevant rules in home affairs website.

Thank you very much for your help.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:53 PM, celia said:

Hi, I am from China and just got my PhD this year. I plan to go to Australia to do 1.5-year post-doc research and need to apply for a 482 visa (mid term stream).

According to Australia home affairs website, I need to get a skill assessment for university lecturer. However, I just finished my PhD study and have never worked before. Can I present my PhD research experience as the working experience in skill assessment? Or do I need to work in my country for 2 years to meet the skill assessment criteria before I can go to Australia?

Also, I searched on the internet and saw some people said that post-doc researcher applying for 482 visa do not need to lodge a skill assessment. Is this true? I can't find the relevant rules in home affairs website.

Thank you very much for your help.

There is a gap in the visa framework for people such as you.  Although you need to apply for a 482, you still need skills assessment (this is different to work experience).

As you said you have not held a real job (per se') but you have substantial skills.  Your University will be able to provide the statement as to your skill set.

Core to all of this is finding a University that will sponsor your 482, AND...  your are of research is in the national interest.

Your sponsoring Uni in Australia will sort all this red tape for you.  Assuming you have a research grant on offer.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.