Hya

BVB not active while visitor’s visa got extended

Hi, I am just as confused when I found out about my BVA/BVB dilemma. 
I applied for visitor visa Dec 2018 and set to expire Dec 12th 2019. I got in Australia as tourist with a ticket out after 3 months’ stay which was Oct 30th 2019 and back Nov 15th 2019. My partner and I decided to lodge our partner visa onshore after 2 years of dating around Aug 2019 and granted BVA which was set to take effect on Nov 4th with no condition. We called immi and was told to apply for BVB for travel rights. Granted BVB with no condition on Aug 30-Jan 2020. The agent said that I will be on visitor’s visa when I go overseas and come back with BVB with no condition, which means, with full work rights. When I came back, I applied for work and told recruiters that I am on BV with full work rights only to find out that (when I checked myVEVO) my tourist visa got extended until Feb 2020. I’m just wondering why this happened when I didn’t apply for any extension and when I called immi to ask about my situation the agent said it was because I went overseas as tourist. But it’s still so confusing. Can someone share their input and similar experience so I can at least have a little bit of understanding why my BV is not active? Appreciate it very much! 

32 minutes ago, Aussie_83 said:

Sounds like your TV had multiple entry 3 months stay on arrival? And that your last entry date was inside the tourist validity. So your 3 months reset on entry

Yes, my TV is multiple entry 3 months stay on arrival. When I got my BVA, I was hesitant to go outside the country but when I called immi to clarify, the agent said nothing about TV reset to 3 months. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t have went overseas. I made sure that if I come back, my status will be BV with full work rights so I can start working right away and not be bored again for another 3 months. Do you have any idea if my TV will end on the day it was originally set on Dec 12th or is it going to end on Feb next year? 

2 hours ago, Hya said:

My bridging visa was supposed to take effect on Nov 4th and I re-enter with BVB. 

From what you have posted, you applied for a visitor visa in Dec 2018 and it is due to expire Dec 2019. Further you have stated that it is "multiple entry 3 months on arrival". Your visa is therefore still valid. You have departed Australia and returned within the validity period of your visa, and as such you are currently permitted to stay in Australia until February next year on your current visitor visa. Your Bridging Visa will not become active until February next year. 

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

35 minutes ago, AFV said:

From what you have posted, you applied for a visitor visa in Dec 2018 and it is due to expire Dec 2019. Further you have stated that it is "multiple entry 3 months on arrival". Your visa is therefore still valid. You have departed Australia and returned within the validity period of your visa, and as such you are currently permitted to stay in Australia until February next year on your current visitor visa. Your Bridging Visa will not become active until February next year. 

The only thing that I got so confused about was in my BVA Grant, it shows TV ends November and not December anymore and BV will take effect on Nov 4th. I was being careful since my travel dates were Oct 30-Nov 14. That’s why I called immi to confirm and they advised me to apply BVB. So in this way I travel out with my TV and can re-enter with BVB since my TV end date changed. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Hya said:

The only thing that I got so confused about was in my BVA Grant, it shows TV ends November and not December anymore and BV will take effect on Nov 4th. I was being careful since my travel dates were Oct 30-Nov 14. That’s why I called immi to confirm and they advised me to apply BVB. So in this way I travel out with my TV and can re-enter with BVB since my TV end date changed. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks. 

I cannot enlighten you beyond what I have posted. 

If you had remained in Australia beyond your permitted 3 month period of stay then the bridging visa would have become active. However as you left and returned during the validity of your visitor visa, you got yourself another 3 months stay on your still valid visitor visa. 

Lastly visa expiry and permitted period of stay are two different things. 

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

43 minutes ago, Hya said:

Unfortunately the call centre staff while great people who do try and help aren't qualified and have been known to give incorrect information. At the time you received the bridging visa a letter the information in it was correct.