Shalyn T

Immigration closed for Christmas?

Hi

I had to reapply for my sister and nieces Visitors Visa (600) last Monday and Wednesday - we are of Papua New Guinean origin, and have had visas granted in the past. It usually take 5 working days for us to receive our visas without delay.

I am wondering now however, that because we have not received correspondence from Immigration since last week, is it possible the office is closed until after New Year? 5 working days for my sister's visa would've been on Monday 23rd December, and for my nieces, today (Friday 27th December).

If someone could just shed some light on this would be great.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Shalyn T said:

Hi

I had to reapply for my sister and nieces Visitors Visa (600) last Monday and Wednesday - we are of Papua New Guinean origin, and have had visas granted in the past. It usually take 5 working days for us to receive our visas without delay.

I am wondering now however, that because we have not received correspondence from Immigration since last week, is it possible the office is closed until after New Year? 5 working days for my sister's visa would've been on Monday 23rd December, and for my nieces, today (Friday 27th December).

If someone could just shed some light on this would be great.

Cheers!

I can't comment on the previous time frames that you have referred to, but most offshore posts are taking between 16 to 27 days from date of application for visitor visas under the tourist stream. Sponsored family visitor visas are 35 to 45 days from date of application. This is also a peak travel period and there will be some public holiday, so if the application was only submitted last week, I would say you still have a little bit longer to wait. 

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

4 hours ago, AFV said:

I can't comment on the previous time frames that you have referred to, but most offshore posts are taking between 16 to 27 days from date of application for visitor visas under the tourist stream. Sponsored family visitor visas are 35 to 45 days from date of application. This is also a peak travel period and there will be some public holiday, so if the application was only submitted last week, I would say you still have a little bit longer to wait. 

@AFV is dead right.  This time of year is peak season for Immigration, coupled with this also being Australia's principal holiday season, IMMI are also generally short staffed.

I would expect processing delays well towards the longer range, if not longer.  Remember these quotes processing delays are an indication only and not a target, they are based on Annual averages.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.