Peter W

Visitor visa to bridging visa A

My question is we were granted a 3 year multiple entry tourist visa I’ve been told that once you lodge your application for a partner visa a bridging visa may be granted and then she can gain work rights etc 

Does the new bridging visa overide the previous 3 year multiple entry tourist visa allowing her to stay instead of having to leave after the 3 month stay and gain work rights or does she have to wait 3 years for the expiry of the 3 year tourist visa before she is granted a bridging visa 

Edited by AFV
Title changed to reflect the post topic

4 hours ago, Peter W said:

My question is we were granted a 3 year multiple entry tourist visa I’ve been told that once you lodge your application for a partner visa a bridging visa may be granted and then she can gain work rights etc 

Does the new bridging visa overide the previous 3 year multiple entry tourist visa allowing her to stay instead of having to leave after the 3 month stay and gain work rights or does she have to wait 3 years for the expiry of the 3 year tourist visa before she is granted a bridging visa 

If she able to apply for a partner visa in Australia, and makes an application whilst her current period of stay is still valid, then she will be granted a bridging visa A which will come into effect only after her current period of stay (3 months) ends. The bridging visa A will then allow her to remain lawfully in Australia until a decision is made on her partner visa application. If she leaves Australia on the bridging visa A she cannot return. She must therefore apply for a bridging visa B if wishes to travel overseas during this period. 

Where a bridging visa A is granted in relation to a partner visa application, it will have work rights attached to it. However a visa holder should always check all of the conditions attached to their visa which can be found on the visa grant notice.  

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.