Jedcat

Visa 600 - tourist short stay for Girlfriend- Financial Support section

Hi,

I've got a question about providing financial support to my girlfriend from Thailand in the visa application. As you can see below it doesn't give an "other" or "friend" option if its "supported by other person",  so I'm wondering if I can use Spouse\De facto? Although I know it's not  the right description as we're not married or living together permanently.  We've been seeing each other for a year and I spent 6 weeks in Thailand with her and every couple of months we meet in Bali, the visa is only for a 3 week stay. 

I got 2 different answers when I called immigration, one guy said no you can't choose that it has to be self funded and then maybe you can attach some bank statements\documents and a supporting letter, the other guy said sure you can I guess..Great advice..

Any one done this before, any advice on which option I should choose? If I go with self funded she has about $4000 in the bank, owns her own business etc but I'm going to be providing for everything really and I'm sure this would make it much easier.

Any help would be appreciated :😊

financial.thumb.jpg.616809f55087b60155b7552399ac830c.jpg

26 minutes ago, Jedcat said:

Hi,

I've got a question about providing financial support to my girlfriend from Thailand in the visa application. As you can see below it doesn't give an "other" or "friend" option if its "supported by other person",  so I'm wondering if I can use Spouse\De facto? Although I know it's not  the right description as we're not married or living together permanently.  We've been seeing each other for a year and I spent 6 weeks in Thailand with her and every couple of months we meet in Bali, the visa is only for a 3 week stay. 

I got 2 different answers when I called immigration, one guy said no you can't choose that it has to be self funded and then maybe you can attach some bank statements\documents and a supporting letter, the other guy said sure you can I guess..Great advice..

Any one done this before, any advice on which option I should choose? If I go with self funded she has about $4000 in the bank, owns her own business etc but I'm going to be providing for everything really and I'm sure this would make it much easier.

Any help would be appreciated :😊

financial.thumb.jpg.616809f55087b60155b7552399ac830c.jpg

The information that you were given by IMMI is absolutely incorrect. An applicant does not need to be self-funded, although an applicant's own economic circumstances may lead to an assessment that they do not satisfy the genuine temporary entrant criteria, the funds/support can be provided by another person.    

See Clause 600.212 of the Migration Regulations:

The applicant has:

(a)  adequate means to support himself or herself; or

(b)  access to adequate means to support himself or herself.

With regards to the relationship to applicant just select "spouse/de facto", and in the field where it asks for financial support/funding details, write "relationship is friend, but this field cannot be entered, therefore spouse/de facto has been selected".

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

52 minutes ago, AFV said:

The information that you were given by IMMI is absolutely incorrect. An applicant does not need to be self-funded, although an applicant's own economic circumstances may lead to an assessment that they do not satisfy the genuine temporary entrant criteria, the funds/support can be provided by another person.    

See Clause 600.212 of the Migration Regulations:

The applicant has:

(a)  adequate means to support himself or herself; or

(b)  access to adequate means to support himself or herself.

With regards to the relationship to applicant just select "spouse/de facto", and in the field where it asks for financial support/funding details, write "relationship is friend, but this field cannot be entered, therefore spouse/de facto has been selected".

100% correct. 

We covered this recently here too: How much money do I need for an Australian tourist visa?

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.