I am currently on a working holiday visa from the UK and work for a big company who have different clinics all over Sydney (where I live), Melbourne and Brisbane. I have worked in one location for 4 months but really want to stay longer as my partner is hopefully getting sponsored in a few months. I have read that I can work for the same employer but in a different location but I’d like some clarification. Does this mean a different franchise? Or could I still work for my current company but literally move to a different clinic within Sydney? It’s not very clear online and I’d love any help! Our sponsorship will probably happen in a couple of months and I want to stay in this job for the next few years but I don’t want to breach my visa conditions. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Charlottie1234 said:

I am currently on a working holiday visa from the UK and work for a big company who have different clinics all over Sydney (where I live), Melbourne and Brisbane. I have worked in one location for 4 months but really want to stay longer as my partner is hopefully getting sponsored in a few months. I have read that I can work for the same employer but in a different location but I’d like some clarification. Does this mean a different franchise? Or could I still work for my current company but literally move to a different clinic within Sydney? It’s not very clear online and I’d love any help! Our sponsorship will probably happen in a couple of months and I want to stay in this job for the next few years but I don’t want to breach my visa conditions. Thanks!

6 month work limitation

Working Holiday Makers can work for the same employer in Australia for more than 6 months without asking permission if the work is:

• in different locations and work in any one location does not exceed 6 months
  • in plant and animal cultivation anywhere in Australia
  • in certain industries in northern Australia only

If you want to work longer than six months with one employer in any other circumstance you need to request permission.

Meaning of ‘one employer’

The 'employer' is the business or organisation for which you are working directly.

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. You cannot stay in the same position in the same location with one employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

Workplace-based training is considered to be work. You are able to undertake workplace-based training with the same employer for up to six months.

Calculating 6 months

The 6 months starts from the day you start work. It includes full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work. It is based on the length of time that has passed since you started working, not how many hours or days you have worked.

The condition resets and the 6 months begins again if:

• a second Working Holiday Maker visa is granted or
  • a bridging visa comes into effect

This means you can return to an employer that you worked for on your first visa. The six-month work limitation and the rules regarding permission to work longer than 6 months with one employer also apply to your second visa.

Work in different locations

• You do not need to ask our permission to work with the same employer for up to 12 months if you work in different locations and work in any one location does not exceed six months.
  • For example you can:
  • work for two hotels in the same chain at different premises
  • work for independently-owned franchises in different workplaces
  • work for State and Territory schools and health care facilities at different addresses
  • work at two different orchards owned by the same business
  • work for a subsidiary company (owned by the same parent company) but the ABN (Australian Business Number) on your payslip is different
  • work for different businesses (separate legal entities with different ABNs) owned by that employer
  • be self-employed and provide services to the same business for more than six months as long as that business is not the only business you provide services to during that time
  • work for independently-owned franchises, even though they operate under the same business name

Source and further information appears here: 6 month work limitation

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

1 hour ago, Charlottie1234 said:

The business does not need to be a franchise. The key is 'different locations'. You can work for the same employer, but the location must be different. The examples give are not exhaustive, and I can see at least two there where it would not suggest a franchise:

• work for two hotels in the same chain at different premises
  • work at two different orchards owned by the same business

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.