Yz2020

Multiple RRVs. Is it possible?

I am currently living outside of Australia and hold a RRV (5 year travel validity) that will expire towards the end of the year. My wife is Australian and I have been back to Australia last year for a holiday but not lived in Australia for 2 of the 5 years needed to be eligible for a 5 year RRV. 

I plan to be overseas for a few more years and was wondering whether it is possible to keep renewing my RRV each year as long as I meet the 155 visa (for 1 year) requirements. I know I will be going back for holidays at least once every 2-3 years so would that mean I would be able to keep my RRV indefinitely as long as I keep renewing it each year? I have no compelling reasons to be outside of Australia but I believe I would be meeting the "at least been in Australia for 1 day in the last 5 years" requirement for the e 155 visa for 1 year

Also on the Department of Home Affairs website its states not to travel back to Australia when the RRV has expired because it may cause you to lose your PR status but what if you have a pending RRV application that has not yet been finalised and enter Australia? Does this in any way help me from losing my PR status? I am just wondering this in the case of an emergency and I need to fly back to Australia in a hurry. 

Thanks for your time.

10 hours ago, Yz2020 said:

I am currently living outside of Australia and hold a RRV (5 year travel validity) that will expire towards the end of the year. My wife is Australian and I have been back to Australia last year for a holiday but not lived in Australia for 2 of the 5 years needed to be eligible for a 5 year RRV. 

I plan to be overseas for a few more years and was wondering whether it is possible to keep renewing my RRV each year as long as I meet the 155 visa (for 1 year) requirements. I know I will be going back for holidays at least once every 2-3 years so would that mean I would be able to keep my RRV indefinitely as long as I keep renewing it each year? I have no compelling reasons to be outside of Australia but I believe I would be meeting the "at least been in Australia for 1 day in the last 5 years" requirement for the e 155 visa for 1 year

Also on the Department of Home Affairs website its states not to travel back to Australia when the RRV has expired because it may cause you to lose your PR status but what if you have a pending RRV application that has not yet been finalised and enter Australia? Does this in any way help me from losing my PR status? I am just wondering this in the case of an emergency and I need to fly back to Australia in a hurry. 

Thanks for your time.

Curious as to where you saw that 1 day in 5 years requirement. It's not one I've seen.

You need to show substantial ties. I've also seen processing times for people who don't meet the requirements blow out and are taking months to be actioned.

What they are referring to when they advise not to travel back with a expired RRV is that you'll obviously need another visa and if you get another one it can override your PR visa. Sorry I can't comment on the part about waiting for one to be finalised.

Meet our residence or substantial ties requirement.

You must either:

• have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as the holder of a permanent visa (or entry permit), or as an Australian citizen
  • be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia 

Thanks for the reply Aussie_83.

I read the requirement about the 1 day in 5 years on this agent's website. (yes I shouldn’t believe everything on the internet!) https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/resident-return-visa/

In regards to my substantial ties, my wife is Australian and upon talking to an Immigration officer last year I was told that this was a substantial connection with Australia that would most likely grant me the RRV. 

So I guess my main question is whether I can keep renewing my RRV each year from overseas so that if in the case of an emergency I can fly back without any problems like my PR vis been overridden. 

48 minutes ago, Yz2020 said:

Thanks for the reply Aussie_83.

I read the requirement about the 1 day in 5 years on this agent's website. (yes I shouldn’t believe everything on the internet!) https://www.myaccessaustralia.com/resident-return-visa/

In regards to my substantial ties, my wife is Australian and upon talking to an Immigration officer last year I was told that this was a substantial connection with Australia that would most likely grant me the RRV. 

So I guess my main question is whether I can keep renewing my RRV each year from overseas so that if in the case of an emergency I can fly back without any problems like my PR vis been overridden. 

The information on that website it actually correct. 

If you have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 you are eligible to renew your RRV for 5 years. Anything less than that you will need to show substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia which are of benefit to Australia, and the applicant. If this is satisfied, then the RRV can be renewed for only 1 year. 

Additionally there is also a requirement that the applicant has not been absent from Australia for a continuous period of 5 years or more immediately before the application for the visa, unless there are compelling reasons for the absence. Note: this is in addition to the requirement to satisfy substantial ties if the residency requirement is not satisfied. 

10 hours ago, Yz2020 said:

If you are outside of Australia and your RRV has expired, even if you have a new RRV application pending, do not apply for another visa to enter Australia, such as an ETA or a visitor visa. You will lose your PR. You cannot hold two visas concurrently. The best way to avoid the predicament you have mentioned is to keep your RRV current. However as @Aussie_83 has said processing times have blown out, and an RRV renewal that doesn't meet the residency requirements can take up to 50 days to be processed.  

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Thanks for the additional information AFV.

So in this case would a trip back to Australia on a RRV for a holiday meet the requirements for "not been absent from Australia for a continuous period of 5 years or more immediately before the application for the visa"?

The main reason why I would like to know this is because I do not have a "compelling reason for the absence".

1 minute ago, Yz2020 said:

Thanks for the additional information AFV.

So in this case would a trip back to Australia on a RRV for a holiday meet the requirements for "not been absent from Australia for a continuous period of 5 years or more immediately before the application for the visa"?

The main reason why I would like to know this is because I do not have a "compelling reason for the absence".

Yes it would. The requirement is just that you have not been absent for a continuous period of 5 years. 

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Thanks AFV,

So this would mean that as long as I keep renewing my RRV each year and make sure I go back to Australia at least once every 5 years and have sufficient ties to Australia I should be able to keep renewing my RRV? 

Just now, Yz2020 said:

Thanks AFV,

So this would mean that as long as I keep renewing my RRV each year and make sure I go back to Australia at least once every 5 years and have sufficient ties to Australia I should be able to keep renewing my RRV? 

That is correct. If you do not satisfy the residency requirement, then it is just a matter of satisfying the sufficient ties to renew the RRV each year. At time of renewing each year, as long as you have not been away for more than a continuous period of 5 years you will not have to show compelling reasons for the absence.