The Chosen One

Expired Tourist Visa Overstayer

HELP!! Please can someone give me some advice on how to get my ex-mother-in-law to go back home to her country!! She has overstayed her tourist visa by two years! I have notified Immigration through the Dob in Line, three times now and given them all the information about her that they requested and the address where she is livIng with her daughter, my ex-wife. She broke up my marriage to her daughter and is a very evil woman! She is constantly calling the police and reporting me to them and falsely accusing me of doing all sorts of things to her and my ex-wife. I do not go anywhere near her or my ex-wife. She is a troublemaker and if she sees myself or one of my family members out at the shops, she yells out bad words to us and screams at the top of her voice to get everyone’s attention to make us look bad as if we are after her and have done something to her! Then she will go to the local Police Station and make false allegations about myself or my family. The Police are getting sick and tired of her coming in to see them and making Police reports, which they know are not true about us. But by law, they have to make a report. The Police know that she is here illegally but they cannot arrest her because only Immigration can do this. So, I have done everything that I know of to have her removed from Australia and sent back to her country where she came from. I don’t know what else I can do to get her sent back home. Why aren’t Immigration doing their job and going to where she is living and arresting her and sending her back to where she came from? Please if anyone can tell me why immigration have not done anything about this illegal overstayer and how long does it usually take for immigration to come and arrest someone like her?

1 hour ago, The Chosen One said:

HELP!! Please can someone give me some advice on how to get my ex-mother-in-law to go back home to her country!! She has overstayed her tourist visa by two years! I have notified Immigration through the Dob in Line, three times now and given them all the information about her that they requested and the address where she is livIng with her daughter, my ex-wife. She broke up my marriage to her daughter and is a very evil woman! She is constantly calling the police and reporting me to them and falsely accusing me of doing all sorts of things to her and my ex-wife. I do not go anywhere near her or my ex-wife. She is a troublemaker and if she sees myself or one of my family members out at the shops, she yells out bad words to us and screams at the top of her voice to get everyone’s attention to make us look bad as if we are after her and have done something to her! Then she will go to the local Police Station and make false allegations about myself or my family. The Police are getting sick and tired of her coming in to see them and making Police reports, which they know are not true about us. But by law, they have to make a report. The Police know that she is here illegally but they cannot arrest her because only Immigration can do this. So, I have done everything that I know of to have her removed from Australia and sent back to her country where she came from. I don’t know what else I can do to get her sent back home. Why aren’t Immigration doing their job and going to where she is living and arresting her and sending her back to where she came from? Please if anyone can tell me why immigration have not done anything about this illegal overstayer and how long does it usually take for immigration to come and arrest someone like her?

That is not correct. Any police officer (state of federal) must arrest a person who they know or reasonably suspects is an unlawful non-citizen.  

How confident are you that she has overstayed her visa, and not now on another valid visa. Her behaviour as you have described is not what you would expect from someone trying to avoid coming to the attention of the authorities, particularly if she is an unlawful non-citizen.  

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Hi, the local Police have said, they cannot arrest her! She has definitely overstayed her visa! Just two days ago, she called the Police on my son for allegedly doing something to her, which was another lie. The Police came and spoke to my son asking him if he did what she said he did and of course for the 100th time he said, NO!!!
The Police officer said to my son, That she is f.....g crazy! All the Local Police in my area know her and her daughter very well! My son told the Police officer that she is here illegally and can’t the Police arrest her? He said, NO! We can’t, it has to be the Immigration Police or the Federal Police. So, do you have any other ideas? That can help myself and my family to send her back home as soon as possible! We have had enough of her! She thinks she owns the shopping centre when she goes there and has in the past spread very bad false rumors about myself and my family to the community of the country she is from. Please if you can help me out in any way, let me know. You say the local Police can arrest her for being an illegal overstayer and they say they can’t? How can I find out if the local Police really can arrest her?
But they probably don’t want to do all the paperwork that goes along with this!
Thankyou! 

8 minutes ago, The Chosen One said:

Hi, the local Police have said, they cannot arrest her! She has definitely overstayed her visa! Just two days ago, she called the Police on my son for allegedly doing something to her, which was another lie. The Police came and spoke to my son asking him if he did what she said he did and of course for the 100th time he said, NO!!!
The Police officer said to my son, That she is f.....g crazy! All the Local Police in my area know her and her daughter very well! My son told the Police officer that she is here illegally and can’t the Police arrest her? He said, NO! We can’t, it has to be the Immigration Police or the Federal Police. So, do you have any other ideas? That can help myself and my family to send her back home as soon as possible! We have had enough of her! She thinks she owns the shopping centre when she goes there and has in the past spread very bad false rumors about myself and my family to the community of the country she is from. Please if you can help me out in any way, let me know. You say the local Police can arrest her for being an illegal overstayer and they say they can’t? How can I find out if the local Police really can arrest her?
But they probably don’t want to do all the paperwork that goes along with this!
Thankyou! 

Section 189(1) of the Migration Act provides that If an officer knows or reasonably suspects that a person in the migration zone is an unlawful non-citizen, the officer must detain that person.

An officer is described in section 5 of the Act to include a member of the Australian Federal Police or of the police force of a State or an internal Territory.

What state in Australia are you from?

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Just now, The Chosen One said:

Hi, wow! Why are the police not arresting her then? I live in Sydney, NSW.

I will send you a DM.