Hello everyone!

A question for whoever understands the permanent residency/return visa matter well enough.

A week ago I received my permanent residency through a partner visa with my Australian husband. This week we will be relocating to the US, where we plan to live for about two years. After that, we were thinking of moving to Europe for another couple of years, since I'm from Italy and the time has come for us to be closer to my family.

From what I gather, in order to be able to get another 5-year residency visa, I need to spend at least 2 of those 5 years (which according to my grant letter will terminate in 2025) in Australia. This really is a problem given that our plans were to live abroad until 2025. Does anyone know how this situation can be solved?

Thank you kindly!

Sara

3 hours ago, Sara Saretta said:

Hello everyone!

A question for whoever understands the permanent residency/return visa matter well enough.

A week ago I received my permanent residency through a partner visa with my Australian husband. This week we will be relocating to the US, where we plan to live for about two years. After that, we were thinking of moving to Europe for another couple of years, since I'm from Italy and the time has come for us to be closer to my family.

From what I gather, in order to be able to get another 5-year residency visa, I need to spend at least 2 of those 5 years (which according to my grant letter will terminate in 2025) in Australia. This really is a problem given that our plans were to live abroad until 2025. Does anyone know how this situation can be solved?

Thank you kindly!

Sara

You will need to renew your resident return visa in 5 years. At time of renewal you will need to satisfy the residency requirement which requires that you have lived in Australia for or 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as the holder of a permanent visa. If this is satisfied then your resident return visa will be granted for another 5 years. 

At time of renewal if you do not satisfy the residency requirement, that is, you have not lived in Australia for at least 2 years in the last 5, then you will need to satisfy the substantial ties requirement to renew your resident return visa. Your ties must be both substantial and of benefit to Australia. They include: business ties, cultural ties, employment ties, personal ties. If you satisfy the substantial ties requirement, then your resident return visa will be renewed for 1 year. 

This a recent post on the forum which you might also find of interest: Multiple RRV's. Is it possible?  

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.