leapip

Visitor Visa due to expire

Hi - Can someone offer some advice? My mum is here on a 600 visitor visa which is due to expire on 27th Jan 2020. She has been admitted to hospital and not fit to fly. I have cancelled the flight but worried about the visa expiry. I have tried to call immigration but they would not give me any definite answers on extension. They said something about new visa on shore but could not say what category to apply for. 

I'd appreciate some advice on what to do. 

Thank you in advance 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:08 AM, leapip said:

Hi - Can someone offer some advice? My mum is here on a 600 visitor visa which is due to expire on 27th Jan 2020. She has been admitted to hospital and not fit to fly. I have cancelled the flight but worried about the visa expiry. I have tried to call immigration but they would not give me any definite answers on extension. They said something about new visa on shore but could not say what category to apply for. 

I'd appreciate some advice on what to do. 

Thank you in advance 

Does you mothers current visitor visa have condition 8503 on it. If not, submit another visitor visa application.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

First check to see what if any conditions she has on the visa. You can do that here

https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

If she does have 8503 condition, apply here for a waiver on that condition so she can apply for further visa.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx

3 hours ago, Electric Sheep said:

First check to see what if any conditions she has on the visa. You can do that here

https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

If she does have 8503 condition, apply here for a waiver on that condition so she can apply for further visa.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx

Good advice with the 8503 waiver request. However unlikely that it would be decided in time. My last 8503 waiver request took 6 weeks to be granted. If a waiver request is not decided before an applicant's current visa ends, they will then become an unlawful non-citizen.

Luke (Lucan) Gorham LL.B

Solicitor

Registered Migration Agent (MARN 0964676)

Contact me at Australian Visa Advice

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

26 minutes ago, Luke G said:

Good advice with the 8503 waiver request. However unlikely that it would be decided in time. My last 8503 waiver request took 6 weeks to be granted. If a waiver request is not decided before an applicant's current visa ends, they will then become an unlawful non-citizen.

Yeah it says there is a processing time, but isn't better if your going to become unlawful itt to show you have taken steps to do something about it, then not. 

If the mum's currently in hospital (unexpectedly?) as it seems, it's pretty much a given that it would be granted. 

3 hours ago, Luke G said:

And ontop of that if it lapses before the waiver is granted/refused they could also then apply for a bridging visa E to prevent major repercussions. 

And given the reasoning, which I would imagine would need doctors certificate for support, they should be fine