Bazza

Job loss due to COVID-19 (801 holder)

Hi Forum

My partner of 3 and half years applied for and are still waiting on the Partnership 801 Visa that was submitted on 15th Feb 2017

She had been working as a casual kitchen hand for over 2 years and a waitress in a cafe for 6 months.

She lost her job 2 weeks ago

My question is, given she happily contributes by way of tax, is she eligible to claim unemployment benefits?

It seems like we have fallen through the cracks on both counts as I am a semi retired bloke who was an Airbnb host (off a cliff) and a Landlord (don't ask) and she may not be eligible for any assistance

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bazza

On 4/3/2020 at 6:16 PM, Bazza said:

Hi Forum

My partner of 3 and half years applied for and are still waiting on the Partnership 801 Visa that was submitted on 15th Feb 2017

She had been working as a casual kitchen hand for over 2 years and a waitress in a cafe for 6 months.

She lost her job 2 weeks ago

My question is, given she happily contributes by way of tax, is she eligible to claim unemployment benefits?

It seems like we have fallen through the cracks on both counts as I am a semi retired bloke who was an Airbnb host (off a cliff) and a Landlord (don't ask) and she may not be eligible for any assistance

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Bazza

The laws are changing rapidly due to COVID-19. Centrelink Is loosening all sorts of restrictions at the moment. I am an applicant for 820/801 with a BVA.

You need to try and apply with JobSeeker and Crisis Payment and go through the process. The Crisis Payment MAY apply to you regardless of current immigration laws. Dont wait to register. 

Do all work online. Do not stand out in front of Centerlink and waist your time. 

I am in the same process and will let you know the outcome.  Get educated and use MyGov to its fullest extent.  

Hi Coyote

Thanks for your advice

My partner had  been working as a casual kitchen hand for over 2 years, we were hoping she would be eligible for the Job Keeper, but I think (not sure) that part time workers are not eligible or 820 visa holders???

I will look into the job seeker and crisis payment eligibility criteria

Thanks for keeping me posted, much appreciated, we hope you are successful

Cheers

Bazza