Sign in to follow this  
SGmover

BVA for 820 Visa (switching from 309)

My partner of 5 years was going to apply for 309 Partner Visa, but Covid-19 sees her in Australia for a month already now and her work is happy for her to stay here until it is all over.

As such, we are now looking at a 820 Visa but I need some help understanding the BVA please.

1) She is Singaporean, tourist visa (1 year) expires in November but it only allows for 3 month visits at a time. 3 months is up June 17th.

2) If we apply now - does she get a bridging visa on June 17th (or around then)?  

3) The bridging visa (as far as I understand) will confer the rights of the 820 visa - so work and medicare are ok?

4) She would need to request approval to leave Aus once on the bridging visa. This would be for work. As far as I can see this isn't usually an issue at all

The 820 was never viable because of her work requirements but with work from home that has all changed. It seems like a no-brainer to switch to 820 now that she has to stay here. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, SGmover said:

My partner of 5 years was going to apply for 309 Partner Visa, but Covid-19 sees her in Australia for a month already now and her work is happy for her to stay here until it is all over.

As such, we are now looking at a 820 Visa but I need some help understanding the BVA please.

1) She is Singaporean, tourist visa (1 year) expires in November but it only allows for 3 month visits at a time. 3 months is up June 17th.

2) If we apply now - does she get a bridging visa on June 17th (or around then)?  

3) The bridging visa (as far as I understand) will confer the rights of the 820 visa - so work and medicare are ok?

4) She would need to request approval to leave Aus once on the bridging visa. This would be for work. As far as I can see this isn't usually an issue at all

The 820 was never viable because of her work requirements but with work from home that has all changed. It seems like a no-brainer to switch to 820 now that she has to stay here. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

2. She will receive the bridging visa immediately, it will be active after the current period of stay ends, so yes 17 June. Providing she doesn’t have a 8503 condition on her tourist visa  

3. yes, she will be eligible for Medicare and have working rights. Note: she can get Medicare from the date of application, she doesn’t have to wait for her bridging visa to be active. 

4. yes, if she wants to leave and return, she will need to be granted a bridging visa B

also note, the processing time of a partner visa is well into 2 years. 

great, that is really helpful, thank you.

So we put in the application now.

she will get a bridging visa A - no need to apply

apply for BVB if / when she needs to travel overseas.

Bridging visa likely to be for 2 years before the 820 comes through

51 minutes ago, SGmover said:

great, that is really helpful, thank you.

So we put in the application now.

she will get a bridging visa A - no need to apply

apply for BVB if / when she needs to travel overseas.

Bridging visa likely to be for 2 years before the 820 comes through

Good luck! We also just lodged for 820, so much paperwork! 

yes, BVA should come through immediately via email and will be valid until decision is made on the 820

Likewise, Good luck!

I assume with all the 'evidence' more is better?
Do I need to show multiple evidence of bank accounts or bills together or is one enough? I have 100's of photos of events and whatsapp chats from 7 years ago highlighting everything they are after.

The form 80 character doc is required even though it just repeats everything in the application?

1 hour ago, SGmover said:

Likewise, Good luck!

I assume with all the 'evidence' more is better?
Do I need to show multiple evidence of bank accounts or bills together or is one enough? I have 100's of photos of events and whatsapp chats from 7 years ago highlighting everything they are after.

The form 80 character doc is required even though it just repeats everything in the application?

golden rule is normally Quality over Quantity with the evidence. 
Work well with your relationship statements. 

With bank statements, I did 2 bank statements per year, Highlighting important transactions, you can choose What will show your best interests. 

Rather do form 80, sometimes they ask for it. 
take a look at the partner visa section of this forum, really good advice and help. 

My wife has applied for 801/820 visa from visitor visa. She has received the bridging visa grant letter. What is the procedure of applying for her medicare?

Thanks in advance.