Jump to content

Buying a property on BVA with Australian citizen partner

Recommended Posts


I'm in the process of moving from the UK to Australia (or will be once border restriction are relaxed) and will be applying for my 820/801 when I arrive. I've been with my partner for a number of years who is an Australian citizen and we are looking to buy a property when I arrive, most likely in Victoria. I've been doing some research on buying a property while on a temporary visa (the BVA I will be put on when I arrive) and the different rules which apply in terms of permission from the FIRB and the amount which can be borrowed for a mortgage (80% for temporary residents vs 95% for permanent residents I read somewhere).

I've also read on one site that "An exception is when buying with a spouse who is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident as ‘joint tenants’ in which case you are exempted from obtaining a FIRB approval." We will be buying the property as joint tenants.

I was wondering if anyone had experience here and could advise on the above?

Thanks in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...