Mad95

Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) - COVID-19

Hi all, my fiancee was granted a Prospective Marriage Visa and we had flight tickets to enter Australia on May 22nd , 2020. She must enter Australia before July 9th or her visa is invalid and the Government is not providing refunds despite the reason she can't enter being they have closed the borders. 

Australia is allowing other Partner Visas to enter Australia  but not our visa, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

We are seeking an exemption as she is now in danger where she lives due to COVID and a lack of income and healthcare. 

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in getting an exemption or a refund?  

Hi!

I would like to know about any experiences with applying for an exemption as well. 

My visa (subclass 300) would be valid til mid of November and we plan to get married in September. If restrictions will still be in place there would be no way for me to enter Australia - even if it was to just get married in quarantine with face masks and keeping distance... =)

Does anyone know why only the subclass 300 visa holders are not allowed to enter?

Good luck and stay healthy everyone!

Its because those that have applied for a PMV are obviously not married or in long term defacto relationships. They are not classed as family.  Some have only met them once for a couple weeks then applied.

From what im hearing and reading the exemptions are very hit and miss

You can apply for an extension to the entry date once you are within a couple weeks of that date

I highly doubt our international borders will open anytime this year so that might be your only option

*UPDATE* We have been approved for an exemption on the basis my partner is in fact immediate family (obviously!). Now the mission is finding a viable flight path to get her home.  But feeling so lucky to have the exemption to the entry ban. @Jasmin I encourage to apply a couple of months before you plan to fly. 

@SammyJ I have been told we are not eligible for an extension to the entry date, regardless of the crisis and border closures. We must apply for an exemption and still enter before the specified  entry date. 

Hey, Mad95,

thank you so much for sharing this information. My plan ist to come to Australia end of August this year cause our wedding (in what form ever...) will hopefully be on 4th September. I already booked a flight - just to give proof that I'm willing and determined to marry my fiancé (even with the risk of losing the money).

Now I will apply for an exemption immediately!

Thanks once again! That gives us hope that our plan will still work out in the end!

And one more question, Mad95:

What did you choose regarding the type enquiry - "I'm an immediate family member" or "I have a compelling or compassionate request"?

Thanks in advance!