MikeO55

Why does Immi Dept require a medical exam now, but didn't require one previously when a 12 month multi entry visa was granted?

My girlfriend was granted a Class 600 Visitor visa over 12 months ago in the Philippines, before I met her. She was not required to undergo a medical at that time, and was granted a 12month multi entry visa. 

She arrived here in March, just prior to the lock down, and just before the expiration of the visa, to stay for another 3 months. But now her return flight has been cancelled, she can't get back to the Philippines, so we have applied for a 6 month class 600 visa, (just in case Qantas extends it's flight cancellation past August, we thought it safer to apply for 6 month extension, rather than 3, and she can't apply for 12 months, as that would take her over the maximum stay period of 12 months in one visit), but now she has been asked to go for a medical exam, which is going to cost us even more than the visa application. What would they do if she didn't pass the medical? Send her home? hahaha!!! I just can't see the point of asking her to do a medical now.

Any ideas? And any chance that a well-worded plea to them could see them waive this requirement?? This is on top of the cancellation fees of air tickets and other expenses.

I believe an onshore 600 requires a medical. Unless you have a very good reason for refusing it they more than likely wont waive it and would probably lead to a refusal. There have been repat flights back to Manila and there are international flights out of Aus so they can still refuse these visas

Huh huh same here. I have already applied for my partner visa in March 2019 and it’s been 15 months. It’s still processing.
Now I’m on Visitor Visa and I applied for 6 months extension. coz, my flight has cancelled. They asked medical from me as well. What’s the point auh??? They didnt ask medical from me for my current visit visa. (Bupa medical fee 300+)

visas over 6 months as a rule require a medical including when you get a multiple entry visa limited to 3 months. 

Odd they didn't the first time, I would assume a oversight or maybe she just forgot at the time.  Unless her first one was a ETA, I'm not sure on their requirements as never had to research them