AFV

Australian Citizenship By Descent

Australian Citizenship by Descent

post-1-0-30348000-1473387014_thumb.jpg

In certain circumstances a person born who is born outside of Australia may become an Australian citizen through their parents' status as an Australian citizen.

At the time of the birth at least one of the child's parents must be an Australian citizen. Australian citizenship by descent is not automatic.

A person who was born born outside Australia after the 26th of January 1949 is eligible for citizenship by descent if, at the time of their birth, at least one of their parents was an Australian citizen.

If the Australian citizen was themselves an Australian citizen by descent, the parent must have been lawfully present in Australia for a total of at least two years before the application is made.

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Australian Citizenship by Descent

In certain circumstances a person born who is born outside of Australia may become an Australian citizen through their parents' status as an Australian citizen.

At the time of the birth at least one of the child's parents must be an Australian citizen. Australian citizenship by descent is not automatic.

A person who was born born outside Australia after the 26th of January 1949 is eligible for citizenship by descent if, at the time of their birth, at least one of their parents was an Australian citizen.

If the Australian citizen was themselves an Australian citizen by descent, the parent must have been lawfully present in Australia for a total of at least two years before the application is made.

Hi Kanga,

Just joined today and a very informative site.

Here is my first dilemma as such.

Just returned from Thailand following the birth of my beautiful baby Lilly rose.

I wanted to get her citizenship by descent there but was told by embassy i needed copy of my citizenship document, as I am an Australian citizen by naturalisation.

My blue, anyway, I have returned home got everything ready to apply here when I noticed on the citizen website that they won't except Lilly's translated birth certificate that was done in Bangkok professionally.

In Thailand too they wanted copies of the Mrs. passport showing we were together when she conceived, fair enough.

But here in Oz they don't require it.

Okay Kanga, my question is, shall I get the birth certificate translated again and apply here or, send it back to thailand and my Mrs. can post it ?

The only thing is can she make the payment from one of her banks in Renu Nakon ?

Cheers mate

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Is the Form 118 fully completed, including the Part D identity declaration, are all the supporting documents fully documents certified as well.

Generally they require the fathers passport (last twelve months) but can ask for the mothers too. They can also request DNA. 

It is really as matter for you whether Thailand or Australia is easier, but just ensure you have ALL original documents certified and all Thai documents translated - very important.

Note, if paying in Thailand, you cant pay by credit card. 

logo.png

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Hi Adrian,

Is the Form 118 fully completed, including the Part D identity declaration, are all the supporting documents fully documents certified as well.

Generally they require the fathers passport (last twelve months) but can ask for the mothers too. They can also request DNA. 

It is really as matter for you whether Thailand or Australia is easier, but just ensure you have ALL original documents certified and all Thai documents translated - very important.

Note, if paying in Thailand, you cant pay by credit card. 

Hi mate, thanks alot for the quick response.

yes Form 118 is fully completed and i got a local School teacher for the Part D.

Yep birth certificate is fully translated,

Baby was conceived here in Oz and mums passport will show she was here.

I think i might do it here actually

One question, just to be safe I am going to get the girlfriend to copy all her passport pages, now if I am reading correctly a Thai school teacher can certify these?

cheers again,

Adrian

Hi mate, thanks alot for the quick response.

yes Form 118 is fully completed and i got a local School teacher for the Part D.

Yep birth certificate is fully translated,

Baby was conceived here in Oz and mums passport will show she was here.

I think i might do it here actually

One question, just to be safe I am going to get the girlfriend to copy all her passport pages, now if I am reading correctly a Thai school teacher can certify these?

cheers again,

Adrian

A school teacher in Thailand cant certify documents for Australian visa or citizenship purposes. 

If the copy is certified outside Australia:

•             a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place (for example a public notary); or

•             a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution). 

You can also get them certified over the counter at the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok (VFS).

logo.png

A school teacher in Thailand cant certify documents for Australian visa or citizenship purposes. 

If the copy is certified outside Australia:

•             a person who is the equivalent of a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations in that place (for example a public notary); or

•             a registered migration agent (whose registration is not suspended or subject to a caution). 

You can also get them certified over the counter at the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok (VFS).

On page 6 of the Citizen by Descent application number 37 states teacher?

Because this is the same person who did the Identity declaration.

Failing this all will be certified here in Oz.

Cheers,

adrian

On page 6 of the Citizen by Descent application number 37 states teacher?

Because this is the same person who did the Identity declaration.

Failing this all will be certified here in Oz.

Cheers,

adrian

Hi Adrian,

When you quote & post, the post who you are quoting will appear. Please then post under and not in the same box. 

With regards to the citizenship by descent application, the person that does the identity identification (Part D) can certify the documents.

Cheers. 

logo.png

Hi Adrian,

When you quote & post, the post who you are quoting will appear. Please then post under and not in the same box. 

With regards to the citizenship by descent application, the person that does the identity identification (Part D) can certify the documents.

Cheers. 

Ok thanks mate, sorry for the posting in same box

cheers

Ok thanks mate, sorry for the posting in same box

cheers

No prob's at all. Looks like you have worked it out now, cheer mate.

logo.png

I heard there are some changes regarding certification of birth certificates.

The situation is 

Son born in Thailand, Father Australian, wife Thai

Wife has only done a short trip to Australia once before birth

What are the current procedures and forms for citizenship then getting a passport

I heard there are some changes regarding certification of birth certificates.

The situation is 

Son born in Thailand, Father Australian, wife Thai

Wife has only done a short trip to Australia once before birth

What are the current procedures and forms for citizenship then getting a passport

The order is to apply for Citizenship by Descent first, then once that is granted, apply for an Australian passport for your son.

If submitting the Citizenship by Descent application over the counter at VFS in Bangkok or at the Australian Embassy Bangkok, they will certify any original documents that are presented. You will need to sign the application form too.

With regards to the passport application, you can attend a passport office in Australia and sign your part of the application form and it will be sent electronically to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

If you need any assistance in applying in Thailand for the citizenship by descent application and/or an Australian passport for your son, please feel free to contact us through our website: Australian Visa Advice

Signature.gif

All,

Just wanted to share my recent experience with you all in respects of my daughters citizenship by descent application:

App Method: Offshore/Online

App Submitted: 22/08/16

App Approved: 06/09/16
Certificate Received: 07/09/16

Wait: 16 days

I'm running out of superlatives to describe how streamlined and efficient this process has been. We were advised the wait would be 4 weeks and that the certificate can take 10 days to process from the date of acceptance (not including postage) and to have it arrive in 2 weeks is amazing.

Hi Uhtred,

I am just wondering, I submitted my 2 children's citizenship by descent on the 13th September, so 2 weeks today, it is still saying recieved on my immiaccount. Is this what yours said. Did they get in contact with you? We are low risk just like you. Many thanks

I would like to know the process for 2 of my sons to apply for Australian citizenship by decent.

My Australian father met my kiwi mum and had me in New Zealand. 

They returned to Australia when I was a baby and my mother and I were naturalised Australian citizens.

In my adulthood Ive had 2 sons overseas and my middle son in Australia.

I’d like them to be able to recognise their dual heritage as we also have aboriginal background.

Any positive and informative advice would be appreciated.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:08 AM, Sharyn said:

I would like to know the process for 2 of my sons to apply for Australian citizenship by decent.

My Australian father met my kiwi mum and had me in New Zealand. 

They returned to Australia when I was a baby and my mother and I were naturalised Australian citizens.

In my adulthood Ive had 2 sons overseas and my middle son in Australia.

I’d like them to be able to recognise their dual heritage as we also have aboriginal background.

Any positive and informative advice would be appreciated.

Start here for your two sons.   https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/by-descent  Its a straight forward process and all you need is full birth certificates for the boys, and your proof of AU citizenship. Do the paperwork, pay the $$, easy 🙂

I respect and admire your wishes for your sons to embrace their Indigenous Australian heritage.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.