AussieDude

What Not To Do On An Australian Visa Application

On 11/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, AussieDude said:

I stayed with her in Thailand for 2 years while we sorted out family, visa's etc.  Like you said, it was very hard initially, but I would pick Thailand over Mainland China anyday.

Well it's 13 years for me now. Her father passed last year, we're getting older so now time to make hay for both country's access.

I don't know Thailand, but quite happy here in the middle of China, in beautiful Sichuan Province at the foothills of the Himalayas. Mind you after 40 years of being able to walk to the beach, being inland is a bit of a shock, especially the humidity at night that doesn't go away with sea breezes. It's oddly bizzare having 4 directions in which to travel after a lifetime of only 3! (I always had the ocean in one direction). China is larger than Australia, and has every weather and landscape type known, and a large variety of peoples/cultures, so there's something for everyone somewhere here.

I see a lot of discussion about bringing kids to Australia as part of a Migration Visa with one parent, and then challenged by the other parent. Either at the tim eof initial immigration, or in some cases years later.

This is a very complex aspect of international law, and is governed by the Hague Child Abduction Convention or HCAC.

(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Convention_on_the_Civil_Aspects_of_International_Child_Abduction). 

Although some countries (like India) are not a signatory to the Convention, Australia is, and all the owness is placed on the 'receiving country'.  So a child Immigrating to Australia, without BOTH parents permission, is subject to the HCAC, in full.

The convention states that any child removed (peacefully,  forcibly or otherwise) , from his/her country of habitual residence (their natural home), without the FULL permission of ALL the childs guardians or parents, then the child MUST be returned by the host country (Australia) to their natural home.  If you were to bring the child into Australia, without BOTH parents permission, and one parent raises a complaint to the Australian Authorities, the following may happen;

1. If Australian Immigration are advised before the child flies, they will place a 'No Entry Ban' on the Child, and the airline will not let the child and the accompanying adult board.
  2. If your (the accompanying adult) was able to actually enter Australia with the child, you would be technically committing Child Abduction, a very serious offence in Australia
  3. If you manage to get through all the checks, and you arrive inside Australia, then the local Authorities will be advised.
  4. The Australian Authorities must return the child to its natural home, REGARDLESS of circumstances.  This also applies even though the child could be an Australian Citizen.
  5. However, this does not apply if there are grounds for a protection visa.

But, I stress that the objecting parent would have to raise a formal complaint through their home countries law enforcement service, for the Australian federal Police to take formal action on any of the above.  There is no time limits or statutes of limitation to child relocation cases, with exception to the child being considered an Adult in its home country

The convention exists to ensure that family custody disagreements are settled in the child's natural home or country of habitual residence, with the child and the parents/guardians in front of the local courts.

My advice is ALWAYS to settle custody permission with the other parent, by whatever way works, and get written or formal  permission for the child to leave with the other parent.  This usually involves one parent obtaining sole legal custody, or a legal letter of permission.

I see this situation occurring often with Thai women wanting to immigrate with their child to Australia, sponsored by an Australia partner, under a Partner Visa to marry an Aussie, and the Biological Thai husband blocks the immigration, usually for money. Yes blackmail.

Depending on how long the child has been in living in its natural or habitual home, there are remote possibilities of challenging the definition of 'country of habitual residence' (this will require a lot of legal work), two considerations exist;

1. If the child has spent his/her whole life in their natural county, then there is NO QUESTION, that county is the country of habitual residence.
  2. If the Child has spent a 'significant' amount of time in Australia (i.e that would be probably 12 months or more for a 2 year old), then there may have a chance to challenge that of country of habitual residence is Australia.

The only other option is to make a case for the child's wellbeing, that is if the child was returned to his/her country of habitual residence, it would place the child in direct risk of harm from the mother or others.  Even in this case, the convention is usually upheld and the child is return home.

So my opinion is always....

Please, please, please, under no circumstances should you remove a child from any country without the full consent of BOTH PARENTS, or Guardians**, that would be a very bad thing for all involved. ESPECIALLY THE CHILD.

**A note, in some countries (i.e Pakistan) if the Father of a child is missing, estranged or just not contactable, the Fathers guardianship rights are automatically transferred to the Fathers Parents or surviving blood relatives.  I understand that in Pakistan's case, this is an aspect of Sharia Law, and adds another layer of complexity for all.  A missing or uncontactable parent does not automatically imply the other parent has absolute guardianship.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

This weeks gem of common sense...

Using Agents

I have talked to this subject before, but I am seeing an increasing rate of posts regarding using and agent, and regrettably, posts about bad or incompetent agents.

I won't discuss if or when you should use an agent, there are too many factors to generalise on a position.  But I want to discuss what you should and should not do when you engage an agent.

To be clear, I am not an agent, nor ever have been. I do not represent an agent, or related immigration companies. I dont get any benefit monetary or otherwise from suggesting (or not suggesting) the use of an agent.  They have their place, and purpose.

When choosing an agent in Australia, its fairly easy to be assured that you will be dealing with a professional.  By law, anyone providing Immigration or related visa advice for a fee, must be registered by MARA, the Migration Agents Registration Authority, an Australian Government Agency. They register all suitable qualified agents, and publish these registration database so anyone can check.  MARA is the only registration Authority for anyone, anywhere in the world to legally offer immigration services for a fee.  However, its not as policed as we would like.  There are countless fake agents operating in Australia, usually within a specific ethnic community, who are not MARA registered.  Some, maybe most of these unregistered agents are very capable and professional, as they rely on their reputation to survive. But some are just crooks and con-artists.  Confirming that your chosen agent is MARA registered is easy, and simple, and assures you that you will get a professional service. I will mention that there is a loose exemption for registered Travel agents to provide basic visa advice, but never for a fee.

Overseas is a whole different situation.  Especially in the higher risk countries (ie India, China, Thailand, and most of SE. Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe) where there is often no government controls over who can operate as an Immigration agent, let alone them enforcing Australian law in another country.  MARA and the Australian government can do nothing to stop bogus and fake agents claiming to be Australian Visa Agents when they are not in Australia.  Again check if they are MARA registered.  There are many MARA agents operating overseas, again they are listed on the MARA website.

Check, just always check:  https://www.mara.gov.au/search-the-register-of-migration-agents/

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

While immigrating to a country there are set of norms an immigrant should follow and some they do not have to take into consideration. You should avoid some of the following things:-

1) If you are taking any ailment or going under specific medical treatment.

2) Don't stay beyond allotted time of your visa. 

3) Don't hide your criminal history.

These are few pointers that I could remember. Rest most of the things are covered in above comments but do take care that everything is in the legal procedure. 

Its been a while since I posted to my Blog.

Todays nugget of wisdom.....  

Its not my fault.  IMMI treated me unfairly.

There is this false suggestion floating around the boards and forums that IMMI are 'out to trip you up' or 'make things hard'.  

Utter bullshit.  

IMMI want to see your application succeed, and will provide you with every (reasonable) opportunity to do so. IMMI officers are KPI'd on applications granted, not rejected.

What I hate is the old excuse.... "IMMI cancelled my application as my Medical had expired".  But the actuality being "My medical had expired, IMMI appropriately sent me a request for a new set of medicals, I ignored the request as;

• I had moved address and failed to advise IMMI
  • I dont look at my email as I am too busy
  • I had my head up my ass
  • I used an idiot agent that failed at all of these.

HenceIMMI NATURALLY cancelled my application as I failed to respond.

I blame IMMI for my own stupidity/laziness/complacency.

Disclaimer:

Two posts in one day, you lucky people.

"Australian Cultural Values of Honesty and Transparency, versus traditional cultural values"

I have avoided talking to this subject, as previous attempts had me labelled as a racist, and a xenophobe. But, it needs to be said. What follows, I hope I have represented factually and in an unbiased fashion.Cultural values differ between every Nationality.  Its just ignorant to assume that because you understand your cultural values, so does everyone else. Moreover, it's so much worse for you to assume that another culture holds the same values as you do.

Example:  When an individual from one Nationality/Culture (say Thailand), submits a Sponsored Partner Migration Visa Application for Australia (a different culture to Thailand), the application will be assessed based on the Cultural Values and Principals of Australia, not Thailand.  Multiculturalism does help align disparate cultures somewhat, but not entirely. Obvious you say, but often overlooked and misunderstood.

I speak specifically to the relevance of accuracy, truthfulness and transparency, to any given culture. "Truth" is not a universal concept.  Example: all cultures have the notion of a 'white lie'. All cultures have a different understanding (cultural value) of when one can withhold the truth, or not.

"What is your frigging point ?" you ask....

In Australia, and especially important to Our Public Servants is the principal of "accuracy and truth above all".  The act of complete honesty and transparency is more important than any indiscretion or failing on your part.  Consider a common situation (actually areal storey);

• Thai Girlfriend applies for VV to visit Aussie B/F
  • Aussie B/F assists Thai G/F through the whole visa application process
  • Months later, Aussie B/F asks G/F 'any news on your visa', G/F answers 'no news'.  Months pass.
  • Finally B/F forces the point, and G/F confess that IMMI said no visa
  • 'What reason?' asks B/f
  • "No idea" replies G/F.  "I think IMMI just do not like Thai Woman" she adds.
  • B/F finally gets G/F to send him the full rejection letter.
  • The actual reason for rejection was that the G/F answered 'no' to any criminal record.  IMMI routinely checked her police record, only to find that she had been busted 2 years before for possession of pot. The issue for IMMI was NOT the trivial possession charge, but the fact that she had LIED and WITH HELD the TRUTH on her application.

So the moral of the story;

• G/F had knowingly withheld the embarrassing facts that she had a minor police record, as she did not want to cause embarrassment to her B/F by being a bad girl, and secondly, causing loss of face to her good name and her families name. Her motivation was sincere, genuine and heartfelt, she demonstrated integrity and compassion through her actions.
  • B/F was negligent and responsible for not educating and mentoring his G/F to the differences and challenges of his culture. He should have to explained that 'in his culture' exposing and revealing all your faults and failings, was MORE IMPORTANT and said more to your integrity than withholding embarrassing facts.
  • Many of our Government Ministers and LEaders have been guilty of countless indiscretions.  'To err is human' .  What is important to we Australians is how they account and atone for these human failings.

So how should you apply this;

• YOU (Aussie Sponsor) need to ensure access to your partners IMMI account, or ensure you have access to all their dealings with IMMI.
    • This is not about spying, but guidance.  Allowing you to have transparent access to all the dealings of the application.  Allowing you to assess the facts contained within a IMMI letter, rather than wrestle with your partners 'interpretation' of what IMMI said.
  • Take the time and with considerable understanding, allow your partner to bring forth the entire truth.
  •  We all know that IMMI are painfully verbose and prescriptive in their dealings, so when you are presented with fluffy, ambiguous and vague explanations, trust your gut, challenge and dig deeper.

A sponsor has failed their partner more so by not speaking up, not having the hard discussion and not taking the upper hand and guiding them to a successful outcome.  Failure to mentor 'because I was avoiding confrontation or upsetting her/him'' is a pathetic excuse.

Disclaimer:

On 5/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, AussieDude said:

I have avoided talking to this subject, as previous attempts had me labelled as a racist, and a xenophobe. But, it needs to be said. What follows, I hope I have represented factually and in an unbiased fashion.Cultural values differ between every Nationality.  Its just ignorant to assume that because you understand your cultural values, so does everyone else. Moreover, it's so much worse for you to assume that another culture holds the same values as you do.

Example:  When an individual from one Nationality/Culture (say Thailand), submits a Sponsored Partner Migration Visa Application for Australia (a different culture to Thailand), the application will be assessed based on the Cultural Values and Principals of Australia, not Thailand.  Multiculturalism does help align disparate cultures somewhat, but not entirely. Obvious you say, but often overlooked and misunderstood.

I speak specifically to the relevance of accuracy, truthfulness and transparency, to any given culture. "Truth" is not a universal concept.  Example: all cultures have the notion of a 'white lie'. All cultures have a different understanding (cultural value) of when one can withhold the truth, or not.

Truth corresponds to the fact so provided and as there are no facts, only interpretations, truth is therefore an interpretation.

What is certainly different between cultures, is a lie and to which people or situations you are morally beholden to. Different cultures also have different definitions of what is a lie, and who it is appropriate to tell what kind of lie to.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, AussieDude said:

In Australia, and especially important to Our Public Servants is the principal of "accuracy and truth above all".  The act of complete honesty and transparency is more important than any indiscretion or failing on your part.

I disagree on this, truth and accuracy in Australia is about "face" or "status" much like any where in the world, honesty and transparency isn't any more important than any other country. The public service applies laws unbiasedly, as an example, if you admit to spending 30 years in gaol for murder, being honest, accurate and transparent plays no part in the decision as the decision is governed by the law.

The issue like any country is about knowingly providing false information. The problem people from other cultures face is knowing when the can lie and when they can't and what they can get away with.  Without knowing how the system works its a very hard thing to do, much like a foreigner doing the same in their country, they also don't know or underestimate the data matching/information we are able to access in Australia so falsely believe they can get away with the deception.

21 hours ago, Nightcall said:

Truth corresponds to the fact so provided and as there are no facts, only interpretations, truth is therefore an interpretation.

What is certainly different between cultures, is a lie and to which people or situations you are morally beholden to. Different cultures also have different definitions of what is a lie, and who it is appropriate to tell what kind of lie to.

I disagree on this, truth and accuracy in Australia is about "face" or "status" much like any where in the world, honesty and transparency isn't any more important than any other country. The public service applies laws unbiasedly, as an example, if you admit to spending 30 years in gaol for murder, being honest, accurate and transparent plays no part in the decision as the decision is governed by the law.

The issue like any country is about knowingly providing false information. The problem people from other cultures face is knowing when the can lie and when they can't and what they can get away with.  Without knowing how the system works its a very hard thing to do, much like a foreigner doing the same in their country, they also don't know or underestimate the data matching/information we are able to access in Australia so falsely believe they can get away with the deception.

I am probably an idealist.   But the point was all applicants should be mindful that there may be cultural differences, that could hamper their application.   As I generalised, Its all an opinion in reality. 🙂

Disclaimer:

They should also understand and take into account that Australia is a Judeo-Christian “slave” morality, that if found out to be lying you will be punished by compensatory revenge far in excess of your transgression. 

2 hours ago, Nightcall said:

They should also understand and take into account that Australia is a Judeo-Christian “slave” morality, that if found out to be lying you will be punished by compensatory revenge far in excess of your transgression. 

Beautifully put. You basically summed up my entire post in one sentence......  Tips ones' hat to you

Disclaimer:

18 hours ago, AussieDude said:

Beautifully put. You basically summed up my entire post in one sentence......  Tips ones' hat to you

I dare say most people would more likely understand it the way you put it. :)

Criticising AussieDude

I get a lot of criticism, pokes, flames and complaints with the content I post in this forum. Some comes from my fellow senior members as they pull me up on regulatory accuracy, which just prompts me to double check my facts every post.  The IMMI rules are changing almost daily these days. This is a self moderated forum, so peer review is a cornerstone to our success.

What I find sad, and in some cases offensive, is when newcomers criticise me for not being 100% happy, smiley and positive.  You should meet me in RL.

No amount of God Willing, God will Grant to you, Hope will deliver, Good luck and Be positive messages will overcome the fact that a bad application, based on lies or false truths, will succeed. These messages of encouragement do serve a valuable purpose of helping some poor applicant weather the storm of IMMI delay and process. I have and never will criticise any message of encouragement.

But..  (serious mode now)  when I get criticised openly for posting the hard, ugly, painful truth, and maybe upsetting the fantastic dreams of some poor applicant, that burns me.

If you want a hug and a happy ending to your post, then I will refer you to a suitable website.

If you want a honest answer, then ask.

If you fear the answer,  DONT ASK THE QUESTION.

Disclaimer:

To Appeal or Not to Appeal

We see so many posts regarding should one appeal against a refusal. 

If the visa class you have chosen allows for an appeal (the refusal letter will indicate if you have the right of appeal, and the time period in which an appeal must be lodged (Not all visa' decision can be appealed), then it is your right to appeal.

You must have grounds for an appeal. These grounds must be based on solid legal, process or regulatory precepts.

Consider the following;

• A successful appeal should be based on solid grounds like;
    • Evidence of Bad process
    • Evidence of wrong interpretation of provided information
    • Evidence of prejudicial, or discriminatory treatment
    • Evidence of a misunderstanding by IMMI
    • Complex circumstances that may not have been conveyed in the application
    • Extenuating circumstances (ie compassionate grounds or personal grief)
    • Honest and obvious mistakes on your behalf
  • An appeal based on the following is likely to be unsuccessful;
    • You think is just unfair
    • Despite what the conditions are, you really love her and IMMI has no right to judge you (yes they do)
    • You feel you are been ethnically discriminated against, without solid evidence of such
    • You paid your money so you are 'entitled' to a visa
    • You are an important person, or from an important family
    • You read somewhere that all appeals work

@SUHIthanks for spotting my typo.

Disclaimer:

2 hours ago, AussieDude said:

To Appeal or Not to Appeal

• An appeal based on the following is likely to be successful;
    • You think is just unfair
    • Despite what the conditions are, you really love her and IMMI has no right to judge you (yes they do)
    • You feel you are been ethnically discriminated against, without solid evidence of such
    • You paid your money so you are 'entitled' to a visa
    • You are an important person, or from an important family
    • You read somewhere that all appeals work

@AussieDude looks like you made a typo. Did you mean to say

An appeal based on the following is likely to be unsuccessful;

Visa: PMV Subclass 300, Lodged: Mid Apr 2019, Medicals: Cleared, Status: Further processing

15 minutes ago, Nightcall said:

A very recent related article about a man being refused citizenship for using a fake driving licence that shows both our points. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/punjabi/en/article/2019/06/04/fake-driver-licence-costs-migrant-his-australian-citizenship

Based on the article, so he should be disqualified.  Why is the concept of truth and accuracy such a difficult concept to some immigrants?

I am constantly amazed at the extent to which the Character Test is being applied to Citizenship Applications.  Its ever increasing, and I will be the first to say "thats a good thing".

Its the common defence argument "Oh I did not think that that (law/regulation/criteria) was serious"  that gives me a never ending sense of amusement.

Disclaimer:

Just now, SUHI said:

@AussieDude looks like you made a typo. Did you mean to say

An appeal based on the following is likely to be unsuccessful;

Well spotted mate, yes you are correct, I will correct.

Disclaimer:

4 minutes ago, AussieDude said:

Why is the concept of truth and accuracy such a difficult concept to some immigrants?

I know you know this, but it's more flexible in some cultures, it's the Consequentialism vs Deontological ethics debate or more accurately Christian Deontological ethics,

I could rant about the issue with Kant if you wish ;)

6 minutes ago, Nightcall said:

I know you know this, but it's more flexible in some cultures, it's the Consequentialism vs Deontological ethics debate or more accurately Christian Deontological ethics,

I could rant about the issue with Kant if you wish ;)

Kant would try to get you to categorize you argument in categorical imperatives. Ethics :smethics, if it floats it must be a witch, so burn it.

Oh I absolutely accept that it is a flexible concept in other cultures.  What annoys me is when these other cultures don't accept that our immigration standards are based on our cultural values and law.

Case in point our mate who had his Citizenship revoked for a false driver's license. Part of his defence was that false ID's are culturally acceptable in his home country, and the fact that we do not accept this, is an act of racism.

Disclaimer:

35 minutes ago, AussieDude said:

Oh I absolutely accept that it is a flexible concept in other cultures.  What annoys me is when these other cultures don't accept that our immigration standards are based on our cultural values and law.

@AussieDude I share the same sentiments. Why is it so difficult to see that one should follow the laws and cultures of the countries they are now living in and not their previous home countries. You cannot come to someone's house and then expect them to treat you according to how you are supposed to be treated back in your own house!

Visa: PMV Subclass 300, Lodged: Mid Apr 2019, Medicals: Cleared, Status: Further processing

3 hours ago, SUHI said:

@AussieDude I share the same sentiments. Why is it so difficult to see that one should follow the laws and cultures of the countries they are now living in and not their previous home countries. You cannot come to someone's house and then expect them to treat you according to how you are supposed to be treated back in your own house!

@SUHI,

You put it well.  It's not that Australian Culture and Law is massively different, it's subtle.  The foundation of any immigrate to Australia (or any country in reality) is a desire to embrace and adopt that countries culture and values, and become an Australian.

There is an old saying that "travel broadens the mind", meaning as one travels overseas and is exposed to different cultures, your tolerance and acceptance of different cultures grows. As the world, and especially the developing nations become more affluent, more people are travelling than ever. But sadly this does bring in more globalisation. A 7/11 and a starbucks on every street corner.

I thank you for your support, it means a lot.  I get a lot of criticism for setting people straight or explaining why their attitude will not achieve success in Australia.  Sometimes they call me negative, a racist or a bigot. I call them ignorant.

I have been guilty of this myself, we are all human.  In Australia, the act of pushing into a queue of people or jumping ahead (say at a ticket counter) is just not accepted socially.  You are likely to get pulled back or verbally abused. In Australia, we are all equal, we all wait our turn.  This practise is not upheld everywhere in the world.  When I was working in Mainland China I was constantly outraged at how people would just push in front of you. But.. I am a visitor, I am a guest of that country. I have no right whatsoever to judge or condemn local customs. When in Rome as they say.  I had two choices, develop patience or just leave.

I suppose thats my message to my foreign critics, if you don't like what I say, or how IMMI is treating you, you always have a choice to withdraw.

Disclaimer:

This weeks nugget of celestial wisdom.

Fake Documents, References and Jobs

We se a lot of rejection letters for various visa classes, principally citing the reason for refusal as some of the documentation/proof provided was either unverifyable or falsified.  I want to unpack this and discuss why using any form of fake, false or unverifiable documentation will always be detected. Lets work through the common one we hear about constantly, Fake Jobs;

1. Fake letters of employment. For a letter of employment to be considered authentic IMMI will apply these simple tests;
    1. Is the letter on a company letterhead, an original was sighted (not just a composite PDF)
    2. Is the company legally registered and the registration number quoted. Virtually every country's Company Names Database is available on the Internet for public enquiry
    3. Can the person signing be contacted by phone or email
    4. Does the letter follow the typically brief HR format of Name, Position, Salary, Status and Length of Service?, or, 
    5. Is it a rambling mess of compliments and praise.
  2. For any job to be real, you will be getting paid (NO EXCEPTIONS)
    1. Are there genuine payslips that link the company name to the individual, and do they match the annual salary on the letter of employment.
    2. Are there bank statement that prove that real wages hit the account on a regular basis.
    3. generally, only the corroboration of all 3 pieces of evidence (contract, payslip, bank statement) will prove the job is real.

There are exceptions to the above obviously (free lancers, cash workers, etc) but genuine jobs will always have documented evidence. Remember this, to not have gainful employment may effect your application, lying or faking a job ( and being caught) WILL GUARANTEE A REFUSAL.  Often lying is punished far worse than the original failing.

Equally, employment references, qualifications, character reference can all be checked as simply as above.

Falsifying or adjusting a PCC will land you in Jail back at home, as IMMI always reports these offences.

As a general rule, for any piece of evidence to be considered authentic, it must be corroborated by at least one other artifact, e.g

• A photo of a holiday, with a copy of a hotel bill for the same place
  • A payslip and a matching bank statement
  • A Chat log planning a party and a photo of the party
  • A chemist's bill for medication, and a copy of the Doctors bill
  • A photo of a couch you purchased, and a URL for the shop website showing same couch, and a copy of the credit card bill
  • Details of your wedding plans, plus a receipt for a deposit to the venue/photographer, showing names and the date

Examples of what does not fly;

• 300 pages of Skype chat logs, and nothing else
  • 100 photos of your trip to Fiji, and nothing else
  • Endless letters from relatives or industry peers
  • Receipts (especially travel website booking emails) for anything in the future, without payment
  • Lame excuses like document X or certificate Y is not available in my country.
  • Anything mentioned in the whole post that has NOT been translated by an Accredited/Credible Translator.

Disclaimer:

On 3/4/2016 at 11:30 PM, AussieDude said:

Another Gem...

There are no short cuts, everyone is treated the same.

I doubt that. I am married to a Filipina who has resided in Australia for almost 5 years. This year she will become a citizen. We have tried 4 times to get her sister here on a tourist visa. The first time was for a holiday, second was the birth of my daughter, the third time was for our marriage, the fourth was for the birth of our son. My wife had a c-section with our son and needed 24 hour help for a while. I couldn’t take time off work.

All applications were completed truthfully. We were told my sister in law didn’t have any regular income. She then got a job with SM malls whilst studying. Then we were told she had no ties to the Philippines. She then purchased her own lot, whilst saving money. Bank statements were shown, references were given, all required information supplied. Rejected each time with no chance to challenge the case. I repeat, the applications were completed honestly and all information provided. The last application was completed by an immigration agent. 

Then I learn that my wife’s friend was able to bring her sister out, and the application was approved within a week. This person has no job, and no funds were disclosed on the application. Then we hear of many other examples of people with no means to support themselves, approved within a week. Yet, we wait the full waiting period to be told no. Some of our applications were processed in India?? Wtf!!! Happy to continually take our money and give no reason for the rejection. I pay tax and I pay a lot of gst through my business, yet a foreigner can determine our lives. I have asked my local member for help, and he has no idea what is going on. We have never lied on an application, no have we with held any information. The sister we wanted to bring out here would put any Australian to shame in the morals

department. I have no idea what to do or with whom I should raise this issue.