circle

How Long Can You Be Overseas On A Rrv?

My wife is a US citizen with Aus permanent residency. I am nearing the final stages of my application for US residency at which point (Feb or Mar) we'll move to the US.

It's been a long year of paperwork plus the birth of our second child and in that time we hadn't considered what would happen if we ever decided to move back to Aus.

We've left it a bit late to apply for her Aus citizenship so I think we'll apply for the RRV instead.

My question is, if we are overseas for more than 5 years, can we reapply for the RRV and essentially keep extending it?

No doubt we will be returning to Aus to visit family every couple of years, but probably not for any longer than a couple of weeks. 

Last time I checked RRV's have a 3 year general expiry condition.

However, if she has PR, she can return generally with you at any stage, in her case the RRV is a formality.

Best thing is to contact the AU embassy in the US and discuss your case.  To let them know ahead of time is best. 

Get your kids AU passports ASAP, again that will help.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

If you hold an Australian passport after emergrating there and deceide to leave for a few years is there a time limit?

Once you are granted Citizenship, and secure an Aussie Passport, you can come and go as you please for as long as you like, forever if thats your wish.  The only aspect of very long absences for Aussie Citizens is it may impact you Aged pension benefits, ie 1) benefit being reduced if your a non resident, not paying any taxes 2) Benefits not being being paid in part or in full to you as an overseas resident.  But these situations are for very long absences.

I have naturalised (immigrated, got PR then Citizenship) friends who live away in their home and other countries for many years.  But they do vote, submit (usually nil value) tax returns and keep their medicare, passport, drivers license and electoral enrolment up to date.

However, until you are a citizen, ie on a PR, there are strict limits to how long you can be absent.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.