bakseeda

What is a Resident Return Visa?

I am an Australian citizen, I was born there and have seen something about if you are out of the country for more than 5 years you have to apply for a return resident visa, is this right?

Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia at any time. An Australian citizen can be outside of Australia for 20 years and still return.

Australian permanent residents have the right to remain in Australia indefinitely. However if they travel they must ensure they have the right to return to Australia by of a valid resident return visa which is valid for 5 years..

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

A good example is my parents who have been in Australia for over 30 years but still hold their UK passports they needed to get a RRV so they could get back into the country

Australian citizenship therefore has its benefits.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

yes but my parents are very british and will not give up their passport ... on a funny side note, when they went to get their RRV the immigration computers had my father down as an Italian national... that created an interesting hour while he tried to work out what had happened in the computer

yes but my parents are very british and will not give up their passport ... on a funny side note, when they went to get their RRV the immigration computers had my father down as an Italian national... that created an interesting hour while he tried to work out what had happened in the computer

But cant they have dual British and Australian citizenship? No need to give up their British passports.

Yes like me, i was born here but also hold a UK passport

Jason that was my point. If your parents took out Australian citizenship they wouldn't have to worry about maintaining their RRV. You said they were very British and wouldn't want to give up their British passports. But as you have agreed they dont need too. What is wrong with dual citizenship?

yes yes i know but you would have to witness my parents to understand, just notch it up as one of those weird British things

Proudly British. Nothing wrong with that.